> | Accessibility: Text Only | Text sizes: X X X | Help | Site Map | Contact | Cookies | Mobile

A to Z of Council Services:

You are here: Home > Transport and Travel > Road closures

Road closures

How to apply for a temporary road closure for an event on the highway. For details of current road closures and roadworks, see the Lancashire roadworks bulletin.

If you are intending to host an event on the highway you must seek permission for a temporary road closure from the appropriate authority.

As event organiser you will be required to provide appropriate traffic management, signs, barriers and diversion routes to support the road closure. The police will not undertake this function or provide staff to facilitate the traffic management plan.

Application procedure

Depending on the type of event you are planning, you must apply to either Lancaster City Council or Lancashire County Council:

For: Events involving processions, rejoicing, illuminations or ‘thronging’ (such as carnivals, Remembrance Day events).
Apply to:
Lancaster City Council for a road closure order under Section 21 Town Police Clauses Act 1847.
Application form: Road closure application form (Word 249K)


For: Major Sporting Events such as cycle races, triathlon or running races.
Apply to: Lancashire County Council for a road closure order under Regulation 16A Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.
Contact: highways@lancashire.gov.uk or call 0845 053 0011.

If you are in doubt about whether you need a road closure order, and who you need to apply to, please contact us using the details below.





01524 582033

rating icon

Feedback on this webpage

Help us help you by commenting or rating this webpage.

email icon

Email this webpage to a friend

Send a link to this webpage with a summary to a friend.

Mar 2018








      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Lancaster City Council
Town Hall
Dalton Square

Telephone: 01524 582 000

Email customer services

Related Pages