> | Accessibility: Text Only | Text sizes: X X X | Help | Site Map | Contact | Cookies | Mobile

A to Z of Council Services:

You are here: Home > Apply For ItApply for a home

Apply for a home

Ideal Choice Homes

Ideal Choice Homes

We maintain a housing register of people looking for a home in the Lancaster district. To be considered for a property you must first apply to join the housing register.

Our Housing Allocation Policy contains full details about the housing register and how council properties are allocated. You may also find our frequently asked questions page useful.

All rented accommodation from the council, and some from other providers of social housing, is allocated through Ideal Choice Homes, the choice based lettings system for the Lancaster district.

Ideal Choice Homes includes:

  • Lancaster City Council accommodation
  • Properties from other registered providers of social housing (formerly known as housing associations)
  • Mutual exchange properties (social housing tenants looking for a swap)
  • Garages

Council housing

We are one of the largest providers of affordable rented housing in the district.

Most of our homes are in Lancaster, Morecambe, Heysham and Carnforth. However, we do have a small number of properties in some rural villages across the district. We have a mixture of flats, maisonettes and houses.

All available council housing is let through Ideal Choice Homes.

Registered providers of social housing

The other Registered Providers of Social Housing who are partners in Ideal Choice Homes include: 

  • Places for People
  • Guinness Northern Counties Housing Association
  • Two Castles Housing Association
  • Great Places Housing Group
  • Contour Housing Group
  • Johnnie Johnson Housing Trust
  • Anchor Trust
  • Adactus Housing Association
  • Housing 21

Already a Lancaster City Council tenant?

If you feel your home is no longer suitable for your needs, you may want to apply for a transfer to different accommodation either with ourselves or another registered provider of social housing within the district.

To do this you need to join the housing register as described above, and then apply for available properties through Ideal Choice Homes.

If you feel that you have to move because your home does not meet your needs, perhaps because of a medical condition, please contact us as we may be able to offer adaptations to your current home.





01524 582005

rating icon

Feedback on this webpage

Help us help you by commenting or rating this webpage.

email icon

Email this webpage to a friend

Send a link to this webpage with a summary to a friend.